UK fiance visa

If you are getting married in the UK to someone who is British or settled here, you need to apply for a fiance visa.

Also called a marriage visa, this allows you to come to the UK to get married and then apply to remain after your wedding.


You must satisfy the Home Office that you are in a genuine relationship and that you will get married in the UK within the six months for which your visa is valid.


As a couple you need to have a minimum annual income of £18,600. This will increase if you have children who also need a visa.

The Immigration Rules set out the various ways in which you can meet the financial requirement and what mandatory documents you have to submit for each way.  You cannot rely on a financial source that is not listed in the Immigration Rules.

If your British or settled spouse receives certain benefits to do with disability or caring for someone you will not have to show an annual income of £18,600, but you will still need to show that you can maintain and accommodate yourselves from your own resources,


You must have adequate accommodation for yourselves and any other family members who live with you. Sharing a house is fine, as long as there is a separate bedroom for your exclusive use.

English language

You must be able to speak and understand English at a basic level. This means that if you are not from an English speaking country or you don’t have a degree that was taught in English (as verified by UK NARIC) you will need to pass an approved English test.

Character and conduct

If you have been sentenced to prison, or have been convicted of very serious crimes, this could impact  your visa. Please contact us for advice.

Don't just cross your
fingers and hope
for the best!  

Get expert help
and get your fiance

What to expect from us

  • A free initial assessment of your circumstances
  • Detailed, accurate and confidential advice
  • A full list of the documents needed to support your application
  • A professionally prepared application, setting out your case in the best possible way
  • One single, fixed fee


Where can I apply?

You must apply for a fiance visa from your country of nationality or any country where you are a long-term, legal resident.

How long will it take?

Standard processing time is 12 weeks, though you can pay a fee for a priority service.

Please be aware that the priority service does not guarantee a quicker decision - it just places your application at the head of the queue.


How long is the visa for?

The fiance visa is issued for six months.  It is only possible to extend the visa if there is a valid reason why you couldn't get married while the visa was valid.


What am I allowed to do?

The fiance visa has very similar conditions to a visit visa - you are not permitted to work, study or run a business.

What's my next step?

Once you are married you must apply to the Home Office for leave to remain in the UK with your spouse.


What They Say

Haisam and Clare Gendy

"We did a lot of research into immigration lawyers prior to our first application – potentially putting your future into someone else’s hands is a big decision to make.  Our initial call with Asha convinced us that she was the right person for us – she was clear, direct and very positive in her approach...

Dealing with Asha is such a pleasure. Alongside her professionalism and exhaustive knowledge of the UK immigration system, it also feels like having a friend alongside you, through what can be a very stressful time. We would not hesitate to recommend Asha to anyone looking for support through the immigration process."

What They Say

Michael and Sarah Brooks

"We felt comfortable consulting her anytime we needed clarification, as she was prompt and concise. Due to her vast knowledge and diligent assistance in helping us prepare, we were able to file our application and receive the spousal visa soon after we were married. We would highly recommend that anyone taking steps to emigrate, to consult with Ms Thomas as she is extremely adept and highly professional in her work."

Call now for a Free Assessment

Speak to an experienced immigration lawyer and take the first step to getting your fiance visa