UK Spouse Visa

For the husbands, wives and civil partners of British citizens and people who are settled in the UK

Call us or send a message for a free assessment
0 of 1000

Also called a partner visa, this is the first step towards living permanently in the UK.


As well as being legally married or in a civil partnership, you will need to satisfy the Home Office that you are in a genuine relationship – that is, that you are together because you want to be, not for any immigration advantage.


As a couple you need to have a minimum annual income of £18,600. This will increase if you have children who also need a visa.

The Immigration Rules set out the various ways in which you can meet the financial requirement and what mandatory documents you have to submit for each way.  You cannot rely on a financial source that is not listed in the Immigration Rules.

If your British or settled spouse receives certain benefits to do with disability or caring for someone you will not have to show an annual income of £18,600, but you will still need to show that you can maintain and accommodate yourselves from your own resources,


You must have adequate accommodation for yourselves and any other family members who live with you. Sharing a house is fine, as long as there is a separate bedroom for your exclusive use.

English language

You must be able to speak and understand English at a basic level. This means that if you are not from an English speaking country or you don’t have a degree that was taught in English (as verified by UK NARIC) you will need to pass an approved English test.

Character and conduct

If you have been sentenced to prison, or have been convicted of very serious crimes, this could impact  your visa. Please contact us for advice.

Don't just cross your
fingers and hope for
the best!  

Get expert advice
and get your spouse

What to expect from us

  • A free initial assessment of your circumstances
  • Detailed, accurate and confidential advice
  • A full list of the documents needed to support your application
  • A professionally prepared application, setting out your case in the best possible way
  • One single, fixed fee


Where can I apply?

If you are in the UK with a visa that permits you to remain here for more than six months you can apply from the UK, otherwise you must apply from your country of nationality or any country where you are a long-term, legal resident.


How long will it take?

If you apply from the UK the standard processing time is eight weeks, though you can pay a premium fee for a quicker decision.

From overseas it usually takes around 12 weeks, though there is a priority service available.


How long is the visa for?

Visas are issued for two and a half years.  You will need to apply for an extension before your initial visa ends, and once you have lived in the UK on a spouse visa for five years you can apply for settlement, also called Indefinite Leave to Remain or ILR.


What am I allowed to do?

You are free to work or study as you please, but you are not allowed to claim any public funds.

There are no restrictions on travelling out of the UK, but you should not spend too much time overseas as that could cause problems both when you apply for an extension and if you want to become a British citizen.  


What's my next step?

You must apply for an extension of your initial visa, and then after five years for settlement.

You will need to show that you meet the requirements for spouses with each application that you make.


What They Say

Haisam and Clare Gendy

"We did a lot of research into immigration lawyers prior to our first application – potentially putting your future into someone else’s hands is a big decision to make.  Our initial call with Asha convinced us that she was the right person for us – she was clear, direct and very positive in her approach.

Dealing with Asha is such a pleasure. Alongside her professionalism and exhaustive knowledge of the UK immigration system, it also feels like having a friend alongside you, through what can be a very stressful time. We would not hesitate to recommend Asha to anyone looking for support through the immigration process."

Call now for a Free Assessment

Lines open Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (UK time)

Speak to an experienced immigration lawyer and take the first step to getting your spouse visa